- Interactive map
The church of St. Amé was inaugurated for the Assumption in 1860 and consecrated 3 years later. Inside, the layout and furnishings date from 1905.
The previous church dates from the end of the 14th century. It was a chapel linked to a hospital which served for 3 centuries as a parish church. Falling into ruin, a second church, of modest size, was built in 1729. It had become too small in the summer to accommodate all the curists, so it was necessary to replace it.
This is why in 1858, major work began according to the plans of the architect Léon-Charles Grillot, departmental architect of the Vosges, submitted to the examination of the famous architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc, on a project by Abbé Balland. This new reconstruction was initially contested by the inhabitants of the district, who considered the work too costly. The municipality therefore turned to the Emperor Napoleon 3, who was in favour of rebuilding the church building and partly financed the work, which was completed in 1863.
It was listed in the supplementary inventory of historical monuments in 1995 after the classification of all its furniture in 1982.
Type of amenities : Historic monument or place to visit
Conditions of visit : Visit on your own at all times, Guided tours with advanced booking
Category of tourist venue - historic building : Listed historic monument (MH), Town and area of artistic, architectural and historic interest
Subject of tourist venue - historic building : Religious architecture
Groups welcome : YES
Free : YES